Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Good Samaritans Can Still Be Found

My wife and I were working at our country home and decided to quickly run into town to buy gas for our lawn mower to finish the day's chores. Since I was working outside, I had on a pair of shorts with no pockets which I normally do not wear. I grabbed my wallet, keys and the gas can and off we went.

I stopped into the Casey's in Jerseyville, IL and took my wallet out of the center console of the car, swiped a credit card and put the wallet on top of the car (no pockets! Argh!). After making sure the gas can was positioned securely in the trunk, and with great purpose, I drove out of Casey's and back to work at home.

I'm sure you can see it coming. The wallet flew off of the car and onto State Street as I drove along in happy oblivion. Here is the amazing part of the story; an employee from Casey's, Vicki, was just then going home after her shift and spotted the wallet. She picked it up, took it home and spent the time to look up my telephone number and call me at home. When we received the call, I didn't even realize that my wallet was missing!

Uncharacteristically, for a notorious cheapskate like me, I had a lot of cash in my wallet along with three credit cards and a company calling card. You know how all of that stuff accumulates. I went into town and retrieved my wallet. Vicki would not take any reward money.

In the news, we hear about Drive-by shootings, Tractor-trailers running over other cars, America's Most Wanted criminals and a daily roll call of atrocities. Rarely do we hear about a good-hearted Midwestern woman in an All-American town living the life that we have all been called to live. I don't know if you consider this a newsworthy article, but I consider it a reaffirmation in the goodness that surrounds us. Quietly, without fanfare or fame, making a difference in the lives of others and inexorably, like a river flood, overwhelming the evil in this world. Thank you, Vicki, for being who you are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home