Saturday, May 05, 2007

De La Hoya v. Mayweather and Blasphemy

Tonight Oscar De LaHoya fights Floyd Mayweather Jr. for the junior middleweight title (154 lb limit) or, if you like, super welterweight title in one of the most anticipated fights since Tyson and Lewis fought in June of 2002.

I remember watching De La Hoya fight as an amateur in the Golden Glove Nationals down in Knoxville, Tennessee. I have followed his career for some time and have never really been won over as a fan of his for a number of reasons. I do have complete respect for his boxing skills, all he has accomplished over the years and I am rooting for him to clean up the sport a bit as he evolves into the promotion side.

I believe Oscar has bitten off more than he can chew with FM Jr.'s speed, youth and experience. Floyd doesn't endear himself to most fans with his arrogant statements about being better than Sugar Ray Robinson. Floyd has the makings of being the greatest with his perfect record of 37-0 with 24 knockouts, but he is a long way from being considered worthy of being mentioned with Sugar Ray Leonard, much less Sugar Ray Robinson.

As I was saying before, I think Floyd will win because of his speed, youth and experience. You can imagine how troubled I was to hear the statement made by a person who wears my same name make the following, what I consider to be, blasphemous statement concerning Floyd Mayweather Jr.

HBO's Jim Lampley said "If Floyd Mayweather were fighting God tomorrow, I'd make him the favorite to win by unanimous decision." I was immediately reminded of King Herod in Acts 12.22 being flattered by the crowd as having the voice of a God instead of mere man. Since Herod did not immediately give praise to God an angel of the Lord struck him down, and he was eaten by worms.

I am also reminded of Proverbs 27.21 which says, "The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but man is tested by the praise he receives." As foolish of a statement as Jim Lampley made and as revealing as it is about his own character, the real pressure, the real person placed in the crucible by the statement is Floyd Mayweather Jr.

I do not know if Floyd is even aware of the statement or how he reacted to the statement if he is aware of it, but I do know that I am leaning more toward De La Hoya winning tonight. I previously had given De La Hoya little or no chance, but when you hear such a preposterous statement made it makes you pause.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home