Wednesday, September 13, 2006

And When I Stand Praying...

In Mark 11:25-26 (New International Version) we read, “And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

Uh, oh. I pray often but it seems that those little grudges that I hold against others are a big problem. I respectfully expect God to hear what I have to say and I deferentially expect God to consider my request - but have I really held up my end of the deal? Have I forgiven others of any perceived infraction against me? That is a question that I must, in all honesty, answer no, I haven’t. And it seems that even the passage of time has not dimmed my enthusiasm for holding grudges and recalling how much I really do not like this or that person.

I happen to have the Closing Prayer at services this week. As I stand praying, can I fully expect God to do what I have asked Him to do when I have not done what He has asked me to do? Mark 11:25-26 is clear. No. It is not logical, reasonable or even remotely rational for me to expect Him to hear me - let alone contemplate granting my requests.

As I think about this I want to Thank God for the cleansing power of Christ so that He can still hear me as I work on this problem. I also pray that he helps me lay these things aside. The Prince of Peace is waiting for me. I pray that the Good Lord helps me remember this the next time I let those grudges get in between us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home